Wednesday 30 January 2013

WINOL - Week 1 - Snow Saviours


This was my first week as an official WINOL reporter and it was a snowy one! Although I am a political reporter I chose to take advantage of the icy weather and I covered a snow story. 

My story followed a tweet by Winchester BID stating that homeless guests of the local night shelter were helping to clear the snow from the streets. 

Due to the heavy snowfall I was unable to get out a university camera so I used a regular photo camera to take as much footage of the snowfall as possible and I was very pleased with the results. I then organised interviews for the Monday with Michele Price, the manager of Winchester Night Shelter, and Tony Coates, a local councillor. Jack Webb assisted me in filming these interviews.

After trying to edit my footage into a package, Matt Spencer, who was our guest editor for the week, pointed out that a homeless story without an interview from a homeless person was extremely weak, so I organised a last minute interview for the Wednesday morning. I filmed this interview myself but I positioned the camera incorrectly so the shot was far too much of a profile angle, so the viewer gets a lovely close up of the homeless mans ear. I also forgot to put the gun mic in initially when I was recording the interview so I had to ask him if we could do the interview again, which was embarrassing enough that I will be sure to never make the same mistake again!


Written Story:

 Heavy snowfall on Friday resulted in major disruption across the country, but the homeless community in Winchester were out in force to help clear the snow from the streets.

Four guests at the Winchester Churches Nightshelter volunteered to help Winchester BID grit the streets and roads in areas that were difficult to access.
Ashley Gillinham, on of the homeless guests that volunteered, said: “the community does stuff for us so obviously we want to do something in return to keep the paths and Britain safe”.

Michele Price, the manager of the nightshelter encourages many of the guests to get involved with the volunteer work. She said: “The guys love having something to do, it’s their way of putting something back into the community”.

The volunteer project is just one of many schemes used to help the homeless get back into the working routine.

Video Report:


No comments:

Post a Comment